Wellness Center and STAR announce yoga, kickboxing and Kuk Sool Won sessions
The Wellness Center is dedicated to assisting students, staff and faculty in developing a healthy lifestyle. As part of its overall programming, the center provides the UST community with fitness classes where participants can work out, stretch and meditate.
The Wellness Center and STAR (St. Thomas Activities and Recreation) are partnering again this year to offer Hatha yoga, kickboxing and Kuk Sool Won, a traditional Korean martial art. Through this partnership, the yoga and kickboxing classes are available at reduced rates for students.
If you have questions regarding classes, contact the Wellness Center, (651) 962-6128. The Wellness Center and STAR Web sites soon will be updated to reflect the fall schedule.
Here is information on the classes:
Come and learn to relax your body and mind with gentle breathing and stretching exercises. No experience is necessary. Some benefits include increased energy, improved flexibility, reduced stress and better sleep. Wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring a matt or towel to class.
Three 12-week yoga sessions will begin the week of Sept. 19 and continue throughout the semester on these days:
- Noon-1 p.m. Mondays in Room 355, Terrence Murphy Hall, Minneapolis campus
- Noon-1 p.m. Wednesdays in the Fireside Lounge, Koch Commons
- 5-6 p.m. Thursdays in the Fireside Lounge, Koch Commons
Registration begins tomorrow, Sept. 15, at the Box Office. The cost is based on one 12-week session (either Monday, Wednesday or Thursday).
The cost is:
- Faculty and staff – $70
- First 15 students (with UST ID) to register – $40
- Students (with UST ID) who register after the first 15 – $70
- Drop-in: If space allows and you prefer to occasionally drop in for a class, the cost is $9 per class payable to the instructor.
- Trial-class price: If you are unsure whether this yoga class is right for you, the Wellness Center will offer a one-time fee of $5 for the first Monday, Wednesday or Thursday class you attend.
A 12-week kickboxing class will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. every Tuesday, beginning Sept. 27, in the third-floor gym of O’Shaughnessy Hall athletic building.
For $20, students can pick up a punch card good for six sessions at the Box Office in Murray-Herrick Campus Center. Faculty and staff can buy a punch card for $40. You may purchase a second punch card at anytime.
Kuk Sool Won
Have fun and get in shape by doing Kuk Sool Won a traditional Korean martial art. This class will teach you forms, throws, falls, meditation, kicking, punching and acrobatics. No experience is necessary. Classes will be held from 6 to 7 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday in the south room of the third-floor gym, O’Shaugnessy Hall athletic building. The cost is $40 per semester, payable to the instructor. For information on workout times, call Stephen, (651) 690-0039.