UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “College Notebook: Fuller shines on, off court for St. Thomas,” Dubuque ( Iowa ) Telegraph-Herald, July 25, 2005. “Tut Fuller excelled on and off the tennis court during his four years at the University of St. Thomas in Minneapolis . A four-year starter for the Tommies, Fuller earned a spot on the ESPN The Magazine 2005 College Division Men's At-Large Academic All-America Team.” (Free, online registration required, but full version of story requires payment.) https://www.thonline.com/store/view.cfm?ID=85859
- “Officials fête Oberstar for funding feat,” Star Tribune, July 31, 2005. “Oberstar, a University of St. Thomas graduate, can remember catching trains at the old Union Depot more than 40 years ago. https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5535061.html
- “Sailing school changes course, puts beginners on water,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, July 31, 2005. “School coordinator Danielle Lindeman of Woodbury, who races for the University of St. Thomas, said she's never had a student say ‘never again.’” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/north_metro/12259636.htm
- “Federalist Society is strong in state,” Star Tribune, Aug. 1, 2005. “Is there something suspicious in [Supreme Court nominee John] Roberts' claiming not to recall whether he was a dues-paying Federalist? ‘Silly,’ said Kimberly Crockett, the group's local leader. ‘Preposterous,’ said University of St. Thomas law professor Patrick Schiltz.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/587/5535883.html
- “Business Forum: If it's not yours, don't keep it,” Star Tribune, Aug. 1, 2005. “This column’s author, Hank Shea has served as an assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Minnesota for more than 16 years. He also is an executive fellow for the Center for Ethical Business Cultures at the University of St. Thomas.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/146/5533601.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Aug. 1, 2005. Answers to business-related questions in this column are provided by the John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5533574.html
- “Ryan Companies builds for the future,” Star Tribune, Aug. 1, 2005. “‘There is nothing unusual about relationships,’ said George Karvel, real estate chair at University of St. Thomas, who acknowledges Ryan's reputation for engendering customer loyalty. ‘The only thing unusual is being good at them. It takes decades to build a relationship, but you can lose them in an instant with poor or inadequate service.’” https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/5534002.html
- “Military's access to students faulted,” Star Tribune, Aug. 2, 2005. “ Linnea Tani remembers Vietnam, but she doesn't object to military recruiters in schools. A pacificist who came of age during the Vietnam War, she supported her daughter's decision to join the Air Force ROTC program at the University of St. Thomas while studying nursing at the College of St. Catherine. ‘I would not feel comfortable trying to talk her out of doing something like that. It's her choice and it's not a bad choice,’ she said. ‘I have utmost respect for those who make that choice.’” https://www.startribune.com/stories/462/5538056.html
- “A call to order,” Star Tribune, Aug. 3, 2005. “The Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration have an ambitious goal: to find 25 new members by the year 2010. … Recent guests at the convent included Sarah Larson, 22, of St. Paul, who graduated from the University of St. Thomas in May; Yukie Lee, 29, a student at the College of St. Catherine; and a 31-year-old Kenyan student at St. Mary's University who didn't want her name in the paper.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/142/5535621.html
- “Charley Walters,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 3, 2005. The sports columnist notes, “University of St. Thomas all-conference senior defensive lineman Ben Kessler, who plans to become a Catholic priest and has a perfect 4.0 grade-point average while majoring in philosophy and business, will be featured on Fox Sports Net North's "NCAA On Campus" show at 3 p.m. Aug. 16.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/columnists/12287932.htm
- “No-frills exercise clubs gaining fast,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 3, 2005. “ Cheryl Babcock, who heads the International Institute for Franchise Education at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., says the West St. Paul firm is moving into a new arena as it edges into major markets. Babcock, who once headed a franchise center at the University of St. Thomas here, notes that the metro area is teeming with exercise centers – not just the big chains, but also single entities.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/columnists/12287441.htm
- “Locals cite many reasons for drop in Catholic marriages,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 4, 2005. “But several facts should temper rash conclusions about the numbers in the 2005 Catholic Directory, said Meg Wilkes Karraker, a sociology professor at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul.” https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4229
- “Local law professor calls Supreme Court nominee ‘brilliant,’” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 4, 2005. “ University of St. Thomas law professor Patrick Schiltz was watching television at his Minnetonka home when he heard the president announce the nomination of his friend and colleague, Judge John Roberts, to the Supreme Court. ‘As the president was speaking, I typed [Roberts] a little congratulatory e-mail and sent it off,’ Schiltz said. ‘About an hour later, he had just gotten back from the White House and he was writing back.’” https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4234
- “Video: Future executives,” Star Tribune, Aug. 4, 2005. “Executive compensation is child's play in this demonstration. Emma, Peyton and Cooper are the grandchildren of Fred Zimmerman, who filmed this segment for use in his classes at the University of St. Thomas College of Business. ” https://www.startribune.com/stories/1741/5543268.html