UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent stories of interest that mention St. Thomas.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Travel journal of an International education for Students (IES) student,” Hmong Times, July 1 and 16 and Aug. 16, 2004 . Here’s a three-part series by UST student Bao Vang. https://www.hmongtimes.com/displaynews.asp?ID=1528 https://www.hmongtimes.com/displaynews.asp?ID=1545 https://www.hmongtimes.com/displaynews.asp?ID=1568
- “St. Thomas grad from Bloomington helps create breadfruit shredder,” Bloomington Sun-Current, Aug. 5, 2004. https://www.mnsun.com/archive.asp?display=story2&year=2004&storyID=140754
- “Rosburg to lead school district,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 14, 2004. Randy Rosburg, newly appointed superintendent of the Somerset (Wis.) School District, is working on a doctorate in educational leadership at St. Thomas. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9398511.htm
- “Obituary: Dentist helped children in need,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 14, 2004. St. Thomas alumnus Albert Geiser was 86. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9397067.htm
- “Mover: Brian Hase,” St. Paul Pioneer Press. Aug. 15, 2004. Hase, director of information technology, Braun Intertec, Bloomington, “attended two local institutions for which I have great respect, Augsburg College and St. Thomas University. I hold an M.S. in software engineering from St. Thomas.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/9396037.htm
- “College students don't do Fridays, mostly,” Star Tribune, Aug. 16, 2004. “Several students who have attended the Twin Cities campus, the university's Morris campus, the University of St. Thomas and a community college all said attendance at their Friday classes was noticeably skimpier than it was earlier in the week.” https://www.startribune.com/stories/1592/4929588.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Aug. 16, 2004. Dr. Susan Heckler of the UST College of Business offers marketing advice. https://www.startribune.com/stories/535/4926878.html
- “St. Thomas law prof co-wrote detainee memo,” Star Tribune, Aug. 17, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/1592/4931722.html
- See also: “Robert Delahunty,” Star Tribune, Aug. 17, 2004. https://www.startribune.com/stories/1592/4931723.html
- “Saunders still likes U.S. chances,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 17, 2004. Sports columnist Charley Walters also notes, “The J.R. Productions group that purchased WCCO-AM's sister station KSNB-AM, plans to honor KSNB's contracts, which included the St. Paul Saints and several Gophers women's sports, as well as an unannounced two-year deal with University of St. Thomas men's and women's sports. Word is the KSNB-AM deal was for $3 million. KSNB also produces an afternoon sports show.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/9418751.htm
- “Personal technology: College tech,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 17, 2004. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/business/technology/personal_technology/9425883.htm
- “Gore won St. Paul’s vote in 2000, but Bush took Concordia precinct,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 18, 2004. “The precinct surrounding University of St. Thomas had the second-closest margin for the 2000 presidential race.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/9427485.htm
- “Insurance records reveal stories of human ‘property,’” Star Tribune, Aug. 19, 2004. Professor of history Dr. Anne Klejment is offers perspective. https://www.startribune.com/stories/484/4935737.html
- “Institute making Catholic intellectual tradition more accessible,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 19, 2004. Here’s a story about UST’s new Terrence J. Murphy Institute for Catholic Thought, Law and Public Policy. https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=2698
- “Adult students changing the face of higher education,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 19, 2004. Among adult students profiled in the story is Laura Stierman, a 43-year-old mother of six, who is taking classes at St. Thomas. https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=2696
- “On Catholic literature,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 19, 2004. According to reviewer Emilie Lemmons, “In these first few years of the new century, ‘A new generation of young people in particular is eager to learn more about the faith’s teachings, culture and traditions,’ writes literary critic and University of St. Thomas Catholic studies professor Mary Reichardt. When it comes to educational materials on literature, the need is ‘particularly acute,’ she adds. In her latest book, Exploring Catholic Literature ( Rowman & Littlefield , New York ), Reichardt provides an introduction to 12 Catholic literary masterpieces — from St. Augustine ’s The Confessions to Annie Dillard’s Holy the Firm.” https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=2690
- “College students turn from pizza to peer support,” The Catholic Spirit, Aug. 19, 2004. “Eating buffet-style meals in college cafeterias is another factor. ‘Most cafeterias have many food options and endless quantities,’ said Birdie Ramacher, health educator at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. ‘This can provide some challenges for students. Many young adults are unaware of what a balanced diet consists of and what the correct serving sizes are.’” https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=2693
- “U.S. News lists Carleton fifth,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Aug. 20, 2004. “The University of Minnesota-Twin Cities tied for 66th and the University of St. Thomas tied for 120th among national universities.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/9446595.htm