UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
You might have missed the last "UST in the news" column because it was posted later than usual. To find it, click here.
- “McCarthy memorials scheduled at St. John’s, St. Thomas universities,” The Catholic Spirit, Jan. 5, 2006. https://www.thecatholicspirit.com/archives.php?article=4896
- “Patrick Reusse,” Star Tribune, Jan. 10, 2006. Sports columnist Reusse notes that UST basketball player Isaac Rosefelt was named All-America by the Jewish Sports Review. https://www.startribune.com/508/story/173399.html
- “Fox 9 news director Canova resigns,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 10, 2006. “Karen Boros, a University of St. Thomas professor in the department of journalism and mass communications, notes that Canova is a ‘proven commodity,’ and it's possible he might turn up at another station. ‘Canova is such an aggressive news director – he knows what he wants and he works until he gets it,’ said Boros, a former TV reporter who teaches a class in broadcast reporting. ‘He has been very successful. If I were another news director in the Twin Cities, I might be looking over my shoulder right now. Let's just say I don't think he's going to be a greeter at Wal-Mart.’” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/entertainment/13586947.htm
- “Weber to mount challenger as DFLer,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 11, 2006. Eileen Weber is a 2004 UST School of Law alumna. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/washington_county/13597048.htm
- “Letters from readers,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 12, 2006. Readers weigh in on the UST faculty travel controversy. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/editorial/letters/13603360.htm
- “Appellate court hears challenge to abortion law,” Tulsa (Okla. ) World, Jan. 12, 2006. “Teresa Collett argued the case Wednesday for the defense.” She is a member of the UST School of Law faculty. https://www.tulsaworld.com/EmailStoryDisplay.asp?ID=060112_Ne_A14_Appel17060
- “Midday,” Minnesota Public Radio, Jan. 12, 2006. St. Thomas constitutional law professor Thomas Berg participated in an analysis of the Supreme Court confirmation hearing of Samuel Alito. To listen, find program here: https://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/programs/midday/
- “Charley Walters,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Jan. 13, 2006. The sports columnist writes, “When the University of St. Thomas men's basketball team (7-1) plays host to St. Mary's (5-2) Saturday in Schoenecker Arena, St. Thomas senior co-captain and point guard Sean Sweeney will play against his brother, freshman shooting guard Mike Sweeney of St. Mary's. Coach Steve Fritz, whose Tommies (10-3 overall) within the past week defeated St. John's by 41 points and Bethel by 39 points, probably has the best talent since his 1994 team advanced to the small college final four. ‘When they come to play, they're pretty good,’ said Fritz, in his 26th season as coach. ‘It's just a matter of proving it.’” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/special_packages/columnists/13614358.htm