UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media.
Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, so be sure to read stories soon if you’re interested. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access the stories.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Hip or Crass: Using the Word 'Suck' in Ads,” WCCO-TV, Feb. 4, 2006. Dr. Kevin Sauter, of UST’s Communication Studies Department, comments. https://wcco.com/watercooler/local_story_034192750.html
- “Good Question: Turin Or Torino? WCCO-TV, Feb. 7, 2006. Sauter comments again. https://wcco.com/goodquestion/local_story_039110955.html
- “St. Thomas prof opens campaign against Sabo,” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2006. https://www.startribune.com/587/story/235070.html
- “Young, hip, reverent: Emergent churches, emphasizing small worship groups, have struck a chord with young Christians,” Star Tribune, Feb. 9, 2006. “ ‘At first I thought, 'This is weird,' she said. ‘I mean, I'm a law student [at the University of St. Thomas ], and here were all these counterculture people writing their own songs and doing – body prayer?’” https://www.startribune.com/614/story/235020.html
- “Ramsey county calendar,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 9, 2006. “Free concert: University of St. Thomas faculty members Christopher Kachian and David Jenkins will present a recital of works by J.S. Bach, Robert de Visee and Nicholas Lebegue at 8 p.m. Saturday in St. Mary's Chapel at the St. Paul Seminary, 2260 Summit Ave. For more information, call 651-962-5850.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13825622.htm
- “Talking Volumes: The thinker,” Star Tribune, Feb. 12, 2006. “Heid Erdrich, a poet and English professor at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, said she has loved and taught Housekeeping, [2005 Pulitzer Prize winning author Marilynne] Robinson's first and only other novel, for years, and finds Gilead equally astounding. ‘I am amazed by Robinson's ability to make us see beauty,’ Erdrich said. ‘I love her detail and the almost spooky way she sees, the clarity of detail that resolves in my mind like a photograph. Not snapshots, mind you, but intensely drawn photos of the kind you read for detail, then scope, then detail again.’ ” https://www.startribune.com/384/story/237266.html
- “Victim in hit-and-run car crash dies,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 13, 2006. Brian Fitzpatrick was a freshman at St. Thomas. https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/13857701.htm
- “ 'Big Mac' put his heart in schools,” St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 13, 2006. “In 1949, [St. Thomas alumnus John] McManus played in the Cigar Bowl (then considered the national championship for small colleges) against Missouri Valley College and helped the Tommies rally to a 13-13 tie.” https://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/states/minnesota/counties/ramsey_county/13844357.htm
- “Robert G. Kennedy: People of faith can argue on both sides,” Star Tribune, Feb. 13, 2006. In this opinion piece, Dr. Robert Kennedy of UST’s Catholic Studies Department weighs in on the proposed marriage amendment. https://www.startribune.com/562/story/239689.html
- “Outside consultant,” Star Tribune, Feb. 13, 2006. Answers to business-related questions are provided by the John M. Morrison Center for Entrepreneurship at St. Thomas. https://www.startribune.com/535/story/234884.html
- “Lou Gelfand: Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right,” Star Tribune, Feb. 13, 2006. “Several Minneapolis public schools no longer have student newspapers because of cutbacks. Roosevelt High School recently published an edition thanks to the Urban Journalism Workshop supported by the University of St. Thomas. I witnessed the lamentable gap in the curriculum this winter as a volunteer.” https://www.startribune.com/113/story/240095.html