Instructional technologies training set for August
Would you like to learn about adding an online component to your fall classes? The following sessions will be offered in August. To register for any of these sessions, please visit HR’s Leadership Academy Web site and click the link for Training Online.
Blackboard Design and Content Basics
This class examines both online teaching issues and the basics of building a Blackboard course. If you are new to Blackboard, we recommend you attend this course first, as it provides a good orientation to getting started with Blackboard basics.
- 9:30 a.m. - noon Tuesday, Aug. 2, in Room 208, O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center (LIB)
- 1:30-4:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 8, in Room 105, Opus Hall (MOH), Minneapolis campus
Blackboard File Exchange Tools
Faculty attending this class will learn how to share files and assignments with students electronically, using Blackboard.
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9, in Room 208, O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center (LIB)
Blackboard Discussion Board
Learn how to use Blackboard’s Discussion Board, a communication tool for posting and responding to messages.
- 2-4 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 11, in Room 105, Opus Hall (MOH), Minneapolis campus
Blackboard Question Pools and Tests
This class explores how to design and deliver online tests and surveys using Blackboard.
- 1:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16, in Room 333, O’Shaughnessy Science Hall ( OSS )
Introduction to RefWorks
Prerequisite: basic familiarity with searching library databases
This hands-on classroom session will introduce participants to RefWorks citation manager software. RefWorks is a Web-based system that allows a researcher to save and organize citations from library catalogs, periodical databases and Web sites. The session will cover signing up for a personal RefWorks account, importing and organizing references, and using the software to format papers and generate bibliographies.
- 1:30-3 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, in Room 111, Opus Hall (MOH), Minneapolis campus
- 1:30-3 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 3, in Room 208, O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center (LIB)
Integrating Library Resources into Blackboard
Prerequisites: basic familiarity with searching library databases, Introduction to RefWorks, and Blackboard Design and Content Basics
This hands-on classroom session is designed to share ideas on how to include library materials of various kinds in Blackboard course sites. Instructors from the UST libraries will cover: adding a link to a RefWorks database; creating online syllabi using durable links to full-text articles; and working with UST librarians to add custom or pre-existing library research guides, relevant to the course, to its Blackboard site.
- 9-11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 9, in Room 208, O’Shaughnessy-Frey Library Center (LIB)
- 9-11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 16, in Room 111, Opus Hall (MOH), Minneapolis campus
If you have questions, contact your academic technology consultant directly or call the Tech Desk, (651) 962-6230.