UST in the news
Here's a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links do expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status, and if links have expired, you're welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries' Web site. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s Web site in order to access full text.
If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "Minnijean Brown Trickey, member of the "Little Rock Nine," to speak March 12 at St. Thomas University," Insight News, Feb. 18, 2008. https://www.insightnews.com/archives.asp?mode=display&articleID=3906
- "ItemWorld," Star Tribune, Feb. 22, 2008. Here's an item on the move of a Frank Gehry-designed house to the Gainey Conference Center in Owatonna. https://www.startribune.com/entertainment/15842487.html?page=2&c=y
- "Dining: The Oscar goes to ... 128 Cafe in St. Paul," Star Tribune, Feb. 21, 2008. " Wilson not only took over the lease, but she obviously intuits the qualities that still make the 128 that rare neighborhood restaurant. Starting with the unmatched setting, a pair of intimate, side-by-side rooms on the ground floor of a century-old apartment house across the street from the University of St. Thomas campus." https://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/15800787.html
- "Big wheels: Minnesota roller girls," Star Tribune, Feb. 21, 2008. Among Minnesota RollerGirls members profiled: Lindsy Halleckson, a UST MBA student. https://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/style/15801207.html
- "Educating the whole person: What makes Catholic studies at St. Thomas so unique, and so popular?" The Catholic Spirit, Feb. 21, 2008. https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=79&SubSectionID=104&ArticleID=1517&TM=42269.63
- "Who studies Catholic studies?" The Catholic Spirit, Feb. 21, 2008. https://thecatholicspirit.com/main.asp?SectionID=79&SubSectionID=104&ArticleID=1518&TM=42269.63
- College sports update, St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 22, 2008. " Kara Ledel scored two goals and Jackie Carroll became the fifth University of St. Thomas women's hockey player to reach 100 career points as the host Tommies (19-5, 13-4 Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) secured the No. 2 seed for the conference playoffs with a 7-3 victory over St. Olaf (8-15-1, 5-11-1) on Thursday night." https://www.twincities.com//ci_8331054
- "CollegeLAX MCLA Player of the Week," CollegeLAX.us, which covers college lacrosse news, Feb. 22, 2008. "The University of St. Thomas’ David Hildebrand, a senior defenseman from Plymouth, Minn., is the CollegeLAX MCLA Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 16 to 22. " https://www.collegelax.us/news/2008/02/22/st-thomas-defenseman-david-hildebrand-named-player-of-the-week/
- "Literary calendar," St. Paul Pioneer Press, Feb. 24, 2008. Anouar Majid's talk at St. Thomas is listed here. https://www.twincities.com//ci_8324248
- "Five things we learned from … " Chicago Tribune, Feb. 24, 2008. Here's a Sunday feature about Dr. Carol Bruess' book, What Happy Couples Do. https://www.chicagotribune.com/features/lifestyle/q/chi-0224qqqbook2feb24,0,2210105.story
- See also: "Boost your marriage with book's tips," St. Cloud Times, Feb. 26, 2008. https://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080226/LIFE/102260014
- "Shortages in the field making accounting the hot place to be," Star Tribune, Feb. 25, 2008. 'I've seen some estimates [that] that single piece of legislation might have increased accounting expenses by 50 percent or more' for public companies, said Georgia Fisher, director of the undergraduate business program at St. Thomas' Opus College of Business. … Jane Saly, associate professor and chair of the accounting department at St. Thomas' Opus College of Business, said accountants need to understand financial controls, apply them effectively, analyze underlying trends and perform checks-and-balances to prevent another Enron, WorldCom or an American version of the current scandal in France, where a rogue trader at Société Générale is alleged to have cost the bank $7 billion by making bad stock-index trades. https://www.startribune.com/business/15895907.html