Here’s a roundup of recent St. Thomas mentions of interest in various media. Read the stories by clicking on the links. Links expire and change as papers move stories to “archive” status. If a link has expired, you’re welcome to purchase access to the stories or use a search engine such as Lexis Nexis, available on the UST Libraries’ website. In some cases, you’ll need to register on the publication’s website in order to access the full text.
The list below is by no means exhaustive. If you see a story about St. Thomas and would like us to include mention of it, be sure to drop us a note at email@example.com.
- “Denny Hecker's Mindset over Legal Problems,” KSTP, Dec. 8, 2010. “The former auto mogul had a court hearing Wednesday for using a false name and bad checks to buy back his own belongings in an online bankruptcy auction last may.”
- “The Collapse of the Guantanamo Myth,” Wall Street Journal, Dec. 11, 2010. “This week a Democratic Congress ratified Bush-era policy by refusing to fund any effort to shut the detention facility.”
- “St. Thomas student dies in house fire,” Pioneer Press, Dec. 11, 2010. “An early-morning blaze in a home rented by University of St. Thomas students claimed the life of a Woodbury man Saturday.”
- “St. Thomas student hailed as hero who saved friends,” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2010. “When Cameron Cochran wrote on Facebook over the weekend that his friend and roommate Michael Adam Larson had saved his life, he meant it literally.”
- “How do you land a major client for the first time?” Star Tribune, Dec. 12, 2010. “The first thing to do is to remove barriers between the business and the large client. Only then does it make sense to provide incentives.”
- “Socked by snow, stores haven't given up hope,” Star Tribune, Dec. 13, 2010. “As retailers joined customers in digging out of snowdrifts, many storekeepers and mall managers shrugged about getting socked by a storm so close to Christmas.”
- “Best Buy profits, sales slide,” Star Tribune, Dec. 14, 2010. “Best Buy Co. Inc. has discovered that consumers care less about getting the hippest new gadget than they do about getting a good deal on a laptop or flat-panel TV.”
- “Look what’s plastered on a Tommie hallway floor,” MPR’s On Campus blog, Dec. 15, 2010. The News Service’s Santa rug makes its local media debut.
- “College Prep Elementary Performs at University of St. Thomas,” Hmong Times, Dec. 15, 2010. “Hmong and Karen students in the College Prep Elementary 6th grade class had a unique opportunity to explore the world of theater arts.”
- “It's the last weekend for holiday shopping … hope you like crowds,” Pioneer Press, Dec. 17, 2010. “Twin Cities malls are bracing for a wild next couple of days after a winter storm wiped out last weekend's shopping plans and fate pushed next weekend off the Christmas-shopping calendar.”
- “Critics Slam Fox News for Distorting Global Warming Debate,” Tech News World, Dec. 16, 2010. “A leaked e-mail has revealed a Fox News editor telling his staffers to refrain from asserting that the planet has warmed or cooled in any given period without immediately pointing out that such theories are based upon questionable data.”
- Thomas Bohen, longtime St. Thomas business professor," Star Tribune, Dec. 18, 2010. "He was remembered as a teacher devoted to instilling ethics and a father with a gentle spirit."